kwin on xfce

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
arjaybe

kwin on xfce

#1 Post by arjaybe »

I've got kwin working on MX-18 and now I want to know how to populate KDE System Settings without installing KDE. As it is, I can't manage desktop effects or window theming, etc since those functions are missing in the sparsely populated System Settings. Does anyone know if I can install individual packages to populate it?
Green Comet
Space particles.

Moltke

Re: kwin on xfce

#2 Post by Moltke »

I've got kwin working on MX-18
Is it everything working fine for you? I tried kwin few months ago and it didn't go that well; some apps like clementine and guvcview didn't work at all. I haven't removed it yet and is still around in my system but disabled.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

arjaybe

#3 Post by arjaybe »

Moltke wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:17 am
Is it everything working fine for you? I tried kwin few months ago and it didn't go that well; some apps like clementine and guvcview didn't work at all. I haven't removed it yet and is still around in my system but disabled.
I thought it was working, other than what I mentioned in the first post, but now it fails in some way every time I boot. For example, kwin won't actually start, and Alt-F2 to run kwin --replace won't work because there's no keyboard. I've replaced xfwm4 with kwin in the xfce config file, AND put kwin --replace in Autostart, but it still won't reliably start. (MX-Clocky also won't start even though it's in Autostart and I've saved the session with it open. I wonder if it's related.) Also, I ran Compiz for a while to get the black square out from behind Clocky, but disabled it to make way for kwin. I wonder if that's related.

Anyway, it looks as if I have more problems than I thought I had.-)
Green Comet
Space particles.

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

I think it was back in MX 16 I installed Kwin and got it working with desktop effects and reliably. But I do not recall what in addition I had to add. These days I just install KDE Standard from MXPI and do not have to spend time finding what I missed. I never use KDE and in my normal XFCE it has little affect. The reason for me is dolphin. It is fully functional in XFCE with yje extra KDE stuff installed.
I use compiz for its effects that in my opinion has more available than Kwin.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

arjaybe

#5 Post by arjaybe »

richb wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm I think it was back in MX 16 I installed Kwin and got it working with desktop effects and reliably. But I do not recall what in addition I had to add. These days I just install KDE Standard from MXPI and do not have to spend time finding what I missed. I never use KDE and in my normal XFCE it has little affect. The reason for me is dolphin. It is fully functional in XFCE with yje extra KDE stuff installed.
How do you install KDE without it taking over the desktop? I'd rather have the xfce desktop than plasma, but I want kwin so I can get windows to open where I want them.
Green Comet
Space particles.

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

arjaybe wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:03 pm
richb wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm I think it was back in MX 16 I installed Kwin and got it working with desktop effects and reliably. But I do not recall what in addition I had to add. These days I just install KDE Standard from MXPI and do not have to spend time finding what I missed. I never use KDE and in my normal XFCE it has little affect. The reason for me is dolphin. It is fully functional in XFCE with yje extra KDE stuff installed.
How do you install KDE without it taking over the desktop? I'd rather have the xfce desktop than plasma, but I want kwin so I can get windows to open where I want them.
It does not take over the desktop. At the login screen you can choose which DE to log into. If you log into XFCE you get XfCE unadulterated, if KDE you get KDE.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Moltke

#7 Post by Moltke »

arjaybe wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:17 pm
Moltke wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:17 am
I thought it was working, other than what I mentioned in the first post, but now it fails in some way every time I boot. For example, kwin won't actually start, and Alt-F2 to run kwin --replace won't work because there's no keyboard. I've replaced xfwm4 with kwin in the xfce config file, AND put kwin --replace in Autostart, but it still won't reliably start. (MX-Clocky also won't start even though it's in Autostart and I've saved the session with it open. I wonder if it's related.) Also, I ran Compiz for a while to get the black square out from behind Clocky, but disabled it to make way for kwin. I wonder if that's related.

Anyway, it looks as if I have more problems than I thought I had.-)
It looks like a lot of work must be done in order to - possibly, maybe - get kwin working properly...nah I pass lol I'd completly forgotten compiz even existed lol just installed and been playing around with it and so far everything's working just fine. By the way, after reading your post now I've completely removed kwin from my system.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

arjaybe

#8 Post by arjaybe »

richb wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:16 pm
It does not take over the desktop. At the login screen you can choose which DE to log into. If you log into XFCE you get XfCE unadulterated, if KDE you get KDE.
And it's possible to select xfce and use kwin?
Green Comet
Space particles.

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

arjaybe wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Yes, but as I said other packages need to be installed.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

arjaybe

#10 Post by arjaybe »

richb wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:41 pm
arjaybe wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:11 pm
Yes, but as I said other packages need to be installed.
Okay, I'll try installing KDE Standard and then selecting xfce at the login prompt.
Green Comet
Space particles.

Return to “MX Modified”