Mx 17 Snapshot Mate Remix

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
sdibaja

Re: Mx 17 Snapshot Mate Remix

#11 Post by sdibaja »

LMDE had Mate, But no longer.
With LMDE 2 Mate, on May 1, 2017, a "level 1 update" killed most installs.
Some people were lucky and got the right sequence of patches (many every day for a month or so) and regained use of the system. About half were less lucky and were never able to recover. Clem gave up. Glad he did, it is not in his skill set.
LMDE 3 is Cinnamon only. I have gotten Mate on it, it works, but it is limited. I have no faith in any Mint products anymore.
sorry for the rant.

If you want to do a Debian Mate I have some install notes, it's not actually that hard.
The Full Mate (all the goodies and gadgets) and Like A Rock.
sorry for evangelizing ;-)
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

kosnov

#12 Post by kosnov »

I would like to try it in VB for the heck of it. Debian with Mate.

I agree about Mint, it seems to be going down an odd road along with Ubuntu. Politically.
Mark K.
Iowa, USA
\m/ \m/

sdibaja

#13 Post by sdibaja »

kosnov wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 pm I would like to try it in VB for the heck of it. Debian with Mate.

I agree about Mint, it seems to be going down an odd road along with Ubuntu. Politically.
I will hunt down my install notes for you. the Debian guys make a very Spartan Mate ISO, most of us find it lacking "out of the box".
Do start with the Live non-free ISO, less work.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

sdibaja

#14 Post by sdibaja »

back to the original post...
This is a link to another Mate respin, same author. https://faitfranco.wordpress.com/2018/1 ... x-upgrade/
He is apparently a Mate fan, adding Mate to various OSs.

Also, if you look a bit, there is a MX Cinnamon respin that he has published.

Rather interesting.

I downloaded his ISO “snapshot-20181020_2206.iso” and I like it, kinda.
similar to what I am doing over here
*** in the Live session there are some items in the trash. Very odd. I guess they are selfies.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

Mate is one of the only desktop environments I've ever seen Debian do backports for in the official backports repo. Right now the version in stretch-backports is the same as in testing. Hopefully an update doesn't bork the desktop like Mint's did.

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

Out of curiosity installed Mate from stretch today. Looks very nice and seems complete with my limited experience.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

francofait

#17 Post by francofait »

My snapsot remix mx linux 64 Mate was created by SO already MX linux 7.1 XFcE modified with only replacement of XFCE with Mate on operating system already in current use and updated, I can not rule out traces of deleted files in the trash of the new iso, nothing can lead to personal personal data, deleted, much more likely to arise from the use of Aisleriot waiting for mx-snapsot to complete his work.

francofait

#18 Post by francofait »

Anyone who frequents my blog knows well because repeatedly made clear, that my merit is the only then difficult customization of the peersonalized distribution, and that consequently the main merit is not up to me, but first of all to the distribution team itself. So, specifically both MX snapshot Mate remix and Cinnamon remix, the merit goes to the MX Linux team, more than well deserved by the whole team that 4 place won quickly among the most interesting distributions in Distrowatch, even if known it is only representative of a temporary and ssignificant level of interest and can only become so if the position is maintained for much longer periods. Definitely unique and exceptional in all its functions, the MX-App package

monsieurzik

#19 Post by monsieurzik »

You can, by using stretch backports, install a mate desktop and remove cinnamon on LMDE3. This is why it is so hard for me to choose between MX and LMDE 3 :(

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=276499
MX-21

sdibaja

#20 Post by sdibaja »

LMDE 3 is difficult, not a good base for mate desktop. The end result is not complete or fully functional. Not worth the effort.
MX is much better in every respect.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

Return to “MX Modified”