LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
mystic

Re: LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

#61 Post by mystic »

Usually other distro projects have multiple DEs, what was the reason that MX devs decided in using only Xfce?

Also, on a side note wasn't the original mepis project based on kde, what made them to switch to Xfce?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Xfce and can't wait for the next release. Just curious.

richb
Administrator

#62 Post by richb »

mystic wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:11 am Usually other distro projects have multiple DEs, what was the reason that MX devs decided in using only Xfce?
Manpower and also developers preference.
Also, on a side note wasn't the original mepis project based on kde, what made them to switch to Xfce?
Developer preference and at the time a desire for a lighter system, under a 1 GB iso.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Xfce and can't wait for the next release. Just curious.
So do a lot of us.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

baldyeti

#63 Post by baldyeti »

mystic wrote:Usually other distro projects have multiple DEs, what was the reason that MX devs decided in using only Xfce?
They made several clever choices. Build on the solid foundation of antiX, whilst polishing the look and feel of the underappreciated XFCE desktop environment, and retaining full debian compatibility (and its myriad packages and alternative DE's).
richb wrote:
mystic wrote:Also, on a side note wasn't the original mepis project based on kde, what made them to switch to Xfce?
Developer preference and at the time a desire for a lighter system, under a 1 GB iso.
Meanwhile Plasma5 is noticeably lighter than Plasma4, but again XFCE is a fine and perfectly functional default.
mystic wrote:Don't get me wrong, I really like Xfce and can't wait for the next release. Just curious.
The next release will not be spectacular as the focus is on getting rid of GTK2. This will no doubt break a couple themes and cause some aggravation. Still we should be grateful to the XFCE developers for maintaining their "little DE that can".

Max17

#64 Post by Max17 »

Dude this is awesome. I just happened to stumble on the SourceForge page and am downloading the 19.1 spin. It this something that you are committing to for long term. If so I will help if needed. I can give a little per/month monetarily if needed. I am great typing and have nothing but time on my hands as I live off of SSDI (crippled and cannot work). I've been using Linux since 2010 and was running SimplyMepis as my daily. I will give it a spin and let you know how it goes (19.1 KDE spin). Cheers and thanks.

Max17
Dell OptiPlex 980
4 x Intel i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33 GHz
8 GiB Memory
HDD 250 GiB
Intel Integrated Graphics
MX-KDE Current

Linux strong since 2010

dphn

#65 Post by dphn »

Adrian wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 pm I rebuilt my KDE respin with the latest MX-18 updates (It still displays at boot something about MX-17 but don't worry about that).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/adrian ... o/download
Look in /etc/live/version. Maybe there are MX17 files and entries and regenerate initramfs
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Caesar2

#66 Post by Caesar2 »

Adrian wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 pm I rebuilt my KDE respin with the latest MX-18 updates (It still displays at boot something about MX-17 but don't worry about that).
Downloaded. Will play with it soon.

duane

#67 Post by duane »

I have been using the 18.8 MX-KDE for awhile in our dining room pc.
I like it but one thing I miss is the old KDE 3 sounds.
I use Kteatime a lot and the sounds nowadays in KDE just don't cut it like the sounds they had in the Mepis days.
With that in mind I just installed Mepis 7 on an old pc I had laying around.
When I have the time I will add some of the old sounds to MX-KDE.
There is a guy who made a you tube video of KDE 3 sounds.
Awesome!
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Pete_J

#68 Post by Pete_J »

I have not been around for a while, for some time I have had MX17 installed, now updated MX18, great system with awesome tools, just Xfce I find to limiting not as tweak-able, so its not my main DE as i prefer KDE. I have always been checking the forum and website with great hope that there will be a official KDE version. Well just yesterday downloaded Adrian's 19.1 KDE version, well done Adrian! what a fantastic job you have done. I have been testing on a live system so far, and have had no issues, really good implementation of MX tools. I really hope this gets backing, I really want to let you know what a great job you have done! I currently have Neptune as my main system. I have used Mepis since 2006, so my heart has always been with Mepis/MX, huge temptation to hard install and use it as my main system.

Adrian
Developer

#69 Post by Adrian »

Pete_J wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:14 pm I have not been around for a while, for some time I have had MX17 installed, now updated MX18, great system with awesome tools, just Xfce I find to limiting not as tweak-able, so its not my main DE as i prefer KDE. I have always been checking the forum and website with great hope that there will be a official KDE version. Well just yesterday downloaded Adrian's 19.1 KDE version, well done Adrian! what a fantastic job you have done. I have been testing on a live system so far, and have had no issues, really good implementation of MX tools. I really hope this gets backing, I really want to let you know what a great job you have done! I currently have Neptune as my main system. I have used Mepis since 2006, so my heart has always been with Mepis/MX, huge temptation to hard install and use it as my main system.
Thank you very much for the encouraging words. Give it a try on harddisk too, it should be faster (well, if you have SSD anyway) If I get more feedback I can work on it more and tweak things. Till now I got just a bit over 100 downloads so that's not that exciting, but if people find it useful I will continue to update the image.

Caesar2

#70 Post by Caesar2 »

Caesar2 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am
Downloaded. Will play with it soon.
Going to look at it again.
[><]

Return to “MX Modified”