LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
sunrat

Re: LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

#31 Post by sunrat »

Adrian wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 amI got only 500 downloads in total, so probably it's not worth constantly maintaining this, but it was easy to do, so maybe I will do that again in a couple of month.
My studio respin got 17 downloads so far. ;) I've already got some nice improvements for a new release soon.

aledie

#32 Post by aledie »

Hi Adrian, just tested your LXQt spin. Basically quite functional and snappy, and besides the different panel the feeling isn't much that different from the standard XFCE MX. Just minor comments:

-I wasn't able to start Synaptic, upon inputting the root password nothing happens
-Cosmetic bug, conky background has different color vs. the wallpaper
-generally the entries in the system menus are very redundant, particularly the MX tools are everywhere several times (recall in own folder, system tools, preferences...), plus we have LXQT settings folder, and other general system tools... Would be nice if they were packed all in one place... For my personal taste it'd suffice if we'd have just one entry for MX tools in the main menu "MX tools" which leads to the MX tools window opening, and remove everything else.
-MX menu Edit app opens, but in my case has only the entry for MX tools, not other menu entries, is there any app in qt would allow to edit the menu, like there is in XFCE or gnome (disable entries)
-dont like the font Dejavu Sans (interface and also FF), looks bad and thin to read for older eyes.

For the rest your spin feels very good.

Though, I'd rather stick with XFCE, it is just too good in MX, the only other one I like would be the one of the french Voyager (distro based on Xubuntu)
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

fehlix
Developer

#33 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am I uploaded new snapshots for both LXQt and KDE. They contain the general updates from Debian, I also fixed some small things, for example in KDE version:
- install qdirstat to replace baobab (prefer Qt apps)
- remove mx-usb-unmounter -- no need KDE has something like that
- add MX Tools to Bookmarks
- fix Gtk fonts (I hope)

I got only 500 downloads in total, so probably it's not worth constantly maintaining this, but it was easy to do, so maybe I will do that again in a couple of month.

If you have the old ISO you probably don't need to download the new ones, but if you want to get the new one, I highly recommend using my zsync_adrian-test.sh script from sourceforge, it should make it easy to download only the difference between the old and new ISO saving time and bandwidth.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/adrian-test/files/
Cool just increased the number of downloads a bit.
The zsync script worked: I had only to fetch 12 % for the new iso with the existing MX-LXqt-18.8.
For MX-KDE-18.9 I had still to zsync-download 31% based on the MX-LXqt-18.8.
It's a pity that you took out the download of signature files within the script,
so I now need to manually download the sig-file, as MD5 checksum verification is certainly not state of the art anymore.
I know sf caculates a SHA1, but hey, the signature would show me it is signed by you. The MD5 or SHA1 does tell my that the downloaded file match to another download file or popup on the server. What does it tell me actually? That the sf server e.g. from bulgaria is providing me guaranteed the MD5 sum, you have generated? Hmm ... ;)
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Adrian
Developer

#34 Post by Adrian »

Thanks for feedback, I just tried Synaptic and was able to start it with "root" password, not sure what's going on on your system, maybe you don't have enough RAM or something else is going on...

Adrian
Developer

#35 Post by Adrian »

fehlix, not sure how to treat that, didn't like to download and install my keys automatically on users' machines, if they want to do that they can still do it....

fehlix
Developer

#36 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 pm fehlix, not sure how to treat that, didn't like to download and install my keys automatically on users' machines, if they want to do that they can still do it....
that was the 2nd stepp.. Just include as 1st step within the script the signature. As your key is already with mx keyring (i think) we just need to check the key is available. Otherwise we can display a nice message explain to better verify the signature. As the checksum does not proof mutch ... I know you know .. let's see for the next month we can include it. (and yes another overdue thingy...o)
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

sunrat

#37 Post by sunrat »

aledie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm -Cosmetic bug, conky background has different color vs. the wallpaper
In KDE I found it necessary to set

Code: Select all

own_window_type = 'dock'
rather than the usual "normal" or "desktop". May be the same in LXQt.
Just a wild guess. ;)

aledie

#38 Post by aledie »

@Adrian: Synaptic starts now, was a temporary thing [and yes, I have 8Gb Ram]
@sunrat: this trick didn't help, not that's important ...toggle off
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Adrian
Developer

#39 Post by Adrian »

I was thinking to revamp the Menu Edit tool, I have to read a bit more about freedesktop standards, it's supposed to be able to edit any kind of menus but I know it doesn't work in KDE and LXQt, it probably needs just a small modification to be able to read the relevant files.

fehlix
Developer

#40 Post by fehlix »

aledie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm .. LXQt spin .. Just minor comments:
-Cosmetic bug, conky background has different color vs. the wallpaper
Running Adrian's latest MX-LXQt-18.9_x64.iso
I could enable the transparency background in Conky with this:
* Within LXQt Settings turn on Compton compositor:
Menu
-> Prefernces
-> LXQt Settings