Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX(LX)Qt ??

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Message
Author
User avatar
rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#21 Post by rover » Tue May 01, 2018 4:16 am

@KBD Respect to you sir , for using GNOME !!
Personally , i like KDE ,been using it for a year (on KDE Neon) , alongside my MX machine , and i 'm more than happy with both .
As you said lxqt is an interesting proposition, for low end hardware ( i did my testing on a 1GB Dell Mini 9 ) , without significant compromise in usability ,or customisability .
In a later date i will revisit lxqt , and try to set it up with mostly lightweight Qt Apps ( like Qupzilla/Falkon browser , for example)
Sorry for late reply .

Best Regards

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#22 Post by KBD » Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 pm

rover wrote:@KBD Respect to you sir , for using GNOME !!
Personally , i like KDE ,been using it for a year (on KDE Neon) , alongside my MX machine , and i 'm more than happy with both .
As you said lxqt is an interesting proposition, for low end hardware ( i did my testing on a 1GB Dell Mini 9 ) , without significant compromise in usability ,or customisability .
In a later date i will revisit lxqt , and try to set it up with mostly lightweight Qt Apps ( like Qupzilla/Falkon browser , for example)
Sorry for late reply .

Best Regards
rover, I'm very interested in Qt, and KDE is looking quite awesome lately. I have tried to like Gnome, and even put up with it as my DE for awhile, but one should not have to 'put up' with a DE but should enjoy it :) My two favorite desktops are Xfce and MATE, though I worry about both as I'm hearing gtk3/4 is adding bloat that can then gets passed on to other DE's based on it, which is making Qt and the desktops made from it look more appealing. Even when I have the hardware to run DE hogs like Gnome I still prefer lighter desktops though I want then to be fully functional like Xfce.
We have an advantage with Debian that it can make even heavy desktops not as bad because it is such a light OS.

User avatar
rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#23 Post by rover » Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 am

@KBD I can only provide my personal experience ,and opinion , on the matter , so here goes .
In its current version(5.12.4.) kde can hold it's own ground against the two commercial OS's ( and for the sake of discussion i use windows 10 , as well , so i am able to make direct comparisons ) .

Ram Management is very good (400-450 mb , on startup , in a vanilla installation , on my system , with kmail runing in the background i get around 700-750 mb , a number i find very acceptable , as i use it on a low power 4gb ram machine.

Does it have faults ? Well software is not infallable , but as it evolves there are fewer things to complain about . I guess i could say that for someone at first glance , settings can seem unneccesarily complex, but on the other hand, there is not a single aspect that cannot be tweaked.
One thing i would like to see return , would be dolphin root actions( removed by developers for security reasons , and you have to open a terminal instead , but that is another matter)

I could go on for pages on this, but in the end it comes down to what any user will decide to do , and as you can understand i 'm more than happy with my choice.

XFCE is the reliable tool that is always there , always works , giving you peace of mind , and that is a pricelless feature!
Mate is an excellent choice as well i 've used for a while , but eventually it was the integration of services that drew me to kde.
I genuinelly extended my respect to you for using gnome ! I know some will swear by it , and that's o.k , it just wasn't for me , one of the main reasons beeing high ram usage ( 1-1.5 gb of ram on the testing i did , which is windows 10 level usage for me).

Hope i've helped you with this post , please feel free to ask ,if you 'd like any other details , i'll gladly reply .

Best Regards

User avatar
rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#24 Post by rover » Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 am

@KBD One thing i forgot to mention and had another look at . Debian's Plasma version is 5.8 . I wish they would allow at least the newest LTS Plasma (5.12.0) , because there are aeons of distance between the two versions , in stabillity and features .

A Debian (MX) base and a fresh Plasma version , imagine what a cracker that would be !!!

Best Regards

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#25 Post by KBD » Wed May 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Rover, I began Linux with KDE on MEPIS11, so it won me over early. But for awhile after that it kind of got left behind and looked dated next to Gnome2. Now it is the other way around. None of the Buntu's looked remotely interesting to me except Kubuntu out of the 18.04 releases and I have it installed on one of my desktop computers and will likely install it on a Thinkpad I bought on ebay.
Xfce has been, and still is, my 'go to' desktop that just works with no drama. I agree, it would be interesting to see MX with a fresh Plasma version on it :)

User avatar
rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#26 Post by rover » Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 pm

@KBD I'm sure you'll enjoy it :number1: . Oh , don't forget , although i'm sure you have already , to add the kubuntu-backports repository , so you can follow plasma updates.

Best Regards

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 16300
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#27 Post by Stevo » Thu May 03, 2018 3:47 pm

rover wrote:@KBD One thing i forgot to mention and had another look at . Debian's Plasma version is 5.8 . I wish they would allow at least the newest LTS Plasma (5.12.0) , because there are aeons of distance between the two versions , in stabillity and features .

A Debian (MX) base and a fresh Plasma version , imagine what a cracker that would be !!!

Best Regards
We have one report of a user adding NeptuneOS's repository to get KDE 5.12 with success. If I manage to respin MX 17.1 with KDE 5.8, after that I'll try upgrading it to 5.12 and see if I can respin that one.

Another lightweight desktop is the new Enlightenment 0.22 backport we have in the test repo.

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#28 Post by KBD » Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 pm

rover wrote:@KBD I'm sure you'll enjoy it :number1: . Oh , don't forget , although i'm sure you have already , to add the kubuntu-backports repository , so you can follow plasma updates.

Best Regards
Thanks for the heads up about the Kubuntu backports!

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#29 Post by KBD » Thu May 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Stevo wrote: We have one report of a user adding NeptuneOS's repository to get KDE 5.12 with success. If I manage to respin MX 17.1 with KDE 5.8, after that I'll try upgrading it to 5.12 and see if I can respin that one.

Another lightweight desktop is the new Enlightenment 0.22 backport we have in the test repo.
Thanks Stevo! Would be interested in trying that respin :)

User avatar
rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#30 Post by rover » Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 am

@ Stevo , thank you for the enlightenment DE suggestion . Surely , i 'll have a look into that as well!

By the way , the other day , before embarking on the LXQT experiment , i had a look into installing plasma in MX , and saw that the version is 5.8.6 , which is older than the LTS version (5.8.8 , and even that recently received a security update to 5.8.9 ) .
I hope this information can help you in setting up the Plasma respin . I 'll look forward to use it .

Best Regards
Last edited by rover on Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “MX Modified”