MX16 Graphical interface/mouse problem

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Toastrack

MX16 Graphical interface/mouse problem

#1 Post by Toastrack »

Just re-installed MX16 yet again, previous problems gone, but now the behaviour with the mouse is worse than erratic. I wonder if the is something to do with kde??
For one thing, the scroll wheel doesn't respond at all. Also it's impossible to use the mouse normally as anything clicked on just disappears up into the side panel. I can drag the item to the screen and it will usually only stay there as long as I hold down the left click. The rest is really impossible to describe properly, other than to say that stuff jumps about and / or disappears unpredictably, and when there is a screen display it shimmers every time the mouse is moved. Also the side display of which window is active will often oscillate rapidly between its two states. I can't even use the file manager to look at any files because of this condition.
Another thing is that if I click on, say, settings then it's impossible to select what i want to run because the display scrolls up and down unmanageably when I use the scroll bar to try and select.
I have checked that the mouse itself is in fact OK and working correctly. :confused:
I am having to use this forum via a windows machine (and the same mouse!)!

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX16 Graphical interface/mouse problem

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

If you are using the KDE community version, then this belongs in that forum.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#3 Post by chrispop99 »

It would help if you give some details.

Mouse:
Is it wired?
Is it Bluetooth with a USB adaptor, or via built-in Bluetooth?
Is it wireless via a USB adaptor?

Machine:
Laptop or desktop?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Toastrack

#4 Post by Toastrack »

I don't know what version I am using. It is from the MX16 iso which I downloaded and installed with all default settings. Previous installs from this disk did not show these symptoms. I only mentioned kde as I thiught it might be related.
The mouse is wired, and is exactly as it was before the re-install. I only re-installed becaus of problems with samba, and the re-install cured them.
The machine is a 64 bit desktop with Intel processor. I cannot recall more detail without looking into records.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Can you give us the file name of the iso you used to install?

Toastrack

#6 Post by Toastrack »

Looking at the DVD in Windows, it identifies itself as
MXLIVE
and then down one level there are three or four directories, including boot, and one is
MX-16_May_x64
which I guess should identify the edition etc.

I downloaded the iso and have used it a few times in my attempts to get MX16 working correctly, but I have never had this problem with the mouse actions.
I am using the same mouse on this Win system at the moment.

I hope this info helps. I don't have the downloaded file on this machine, and can't access it on the MX16 machine of course, even if I have kept it.

I do realise that yet another re-install might fix this, but every time it seems to throw up another problem. Since th big samba problem seems to be fixed at last, I am not too ken on risking another re-install unless I really have to!

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

DId you look at Settings > Mouse and Touchpad? Is the mouse identified correctly, etc.?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Toastrack

#8 Post by Toastrack »

That was the first thing I tried to do.In fact that's the nub of the problem!
It's impossible to get the mouse to control the pointer properly. It will move about the empty screen OK, I can click on Settings, and then as soon as I move over to the list the list jumps up and down uncontrollably. I can scroll the list by putting the mouse pointer in the scroll bar in the normal way, then as soon as I move the mouse over to select Mouse and Touchpad the list shhots either to the top or the bottom depending on where I put the mouse. No way can I stop it to click on it in the normal way.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#9 Post by chrispop99 »

When you have no mouse, you can navigate through most things using the keyboard. Use the 'Windows' key to open Whisker, the arrow keys to move around, Tab to select the next item, Alt-F4 to close a window and so on.

Can you unplug the mouse, then use the keyboard to navigate to the location Jerry suggested to check that your mouse has been correctly identified as to the make/model?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Toastrack

#10 Post by Toastrack »

OK thanks. I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

Return to “MX Modified”