After log out freezes when I chose to shutdown!

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
asinoro

Re: After log out freezes when I chose to shutdown!

#11 Post by asinoro »

The last two incidents shows problem with ownership and permissions. I have the feeling something similar is happening here but my knowledge is limited.

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=41805
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=41822
Last edited by asinoro on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your case is solved, edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.

Fix your Grub

aus9

#12 Post by aus9 »

@ Jerry

not sure if this helps but OP may have carried across a certain setup .
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=39543&p=381207&hil ... 15#p381181

maybe asinoro, when he gets a chance, undo those changes and see if there is a difference?

I don't use any hibernate/suspend myself on my laptop as I always turn it completely off.

BTW long press power button if your bios has that power off option .....works for me.
--exit all stuff as your system partition is journalised so attempts to write backup stuff in advance etc
-----that is....finish your work....exit stuff and try long press power if all else fails. YMMV

2) asinoro, also when you get a chance....open a terminal and look to see if you have some gremlin packages sitting there. Your image suggests you have at least one mx15 pkg

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoremove
But wait for Jerry to offer proper advise as I will be going up country shortly so can't promise to offer any help or if others agree....hindrance. ;)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

@asinoro: I agree, there is a fundamental issue here. It is not always easy for us to provide support when the user has made changes in the basic system
@aus9: I agree, but this is really out of my depth at this point. I was just trying to get the parameters of the problem
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

I think this thread should be moved to MX Modified as fundamental system changes have been made.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asinoro

#15 Post by asinoro »

Jerry3904 wrote:@asinoro: I agree, there is a fundamental issue here. It is not always easy for us to provide support when the user has made changes in the basic system
@aus9: I agree, but this is really out of my depth at this point. I was just trying to get the parameters of the problem
I understand what you mean do you think the activation of the hibernation can cause all these incidents? If yes for me no problem in 20 minutes I will go back to my MX-15 image and if this incident is ok, because hibernation works ok, I will stay at my MX-15 image.
I try here to find solution not only for me but for the future users. Generally the users do not speak if they have minor problems just after time the change distro.
If your case is solved, edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.

Fix your Grub

Jerry3904
Administrator

#16 Post by Jerry3904 »

I understand what you mean do you think the activation of the hibernation can cause all these incidents?
I don't actually know, but hibernation does stand out as a factor that would explain why most of our users have not seen these problems. We certainly never tested migration with hibernation enabled during development.

After backing up any data, I would think you would want to try the March snapshot of MX-16 first, since it is completely up to date; then go back to your MX-15 image if necessary.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Modified”