MX 16 unofficial remaster marries KDE to xfce; marital bliss ensues

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Stevo
Developer

Re: MX 16 unofficial remaster marries KDE to xfce; marital bliss ensues

#21 Post by Stevo »

Shay2 wrote:Well, is not Bumblebee for multi video cards?

Code: Select all

lspci -vnn -s 01:00.0
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] [10de:0dfc] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:1534]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 33
	Memory at f5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
	Expansion ROM at f6000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
Yes, but inxi says you have both an Intel and an Nvidia graphics device in your laptop. Perhaps you have some setting in the BIOS or UEFI setup that turns Optimus on or off

Shay2

#22 Post by Shay2 »

Maybe worth investigating. But the screen is about the best I have seen.
I see there are posts missing so
1. We are having to log into our routers after all start ups and reboots.
2 How do we get get rid of this home/demo , 2 of us have that and one did not.

Stevo
Developer

#23 Post by Stevo »

Can you right-click the home/demo one and remove it? Or at least hide it?

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

I also remember that Gordon was asking about flat Kvantum themes--I know that it ships with at least 5 included, which can be selected in the separate Kvantum Manager application: KvArc, KvArcDark, kvFlat, KvFlatLight, and KvFlatRed. Some of the other themes may be flattish, too, but I didn't go through them all.

Shay2

#25 Post by Shay2 »

Stevo wrote:Can you right-click the home/demo one and remove it? Or at least hide it?
R-click > Remove did the trick. Thanks.

I prefer something like Tipsoo Lake.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59731A66

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

That's a great wallpaper, but I was talking about the style for the windows. The trendy style is for everything to look like it's on a phone or tablet--button's aren't 3D any longer, just simple colored rectangles. No 3D elements at all in the UI.

I see Distrowatch just savaged Jessie-based SolydXK in a review for looking "old" and so "2014", also for shipping the "old-looking" KDE 4 we also have. If they had used a flat style provided by Kvantum, they probably could have made the reviewer think that they were cool and trendy, since that reviewer was clearly clueless about how Debian releases work.

How do I see the comments for that review? They've got to be wonderful.

Shay2

#27 Post by Shay2 »

SolydXK caused a nightmare when I tried to get my NVIDIA card working. I tried every work around (including everything I could find on the forums) and couldn't figure it out, so if you can, let me know. The NVIDIA issue resulted in the second, third and fourth complete re-installs of SolydXK. So, finally I decided let's just use the Intel card.
The old "if it ain't broke, fix it" mentality.

Simple is what I prefer for my old eyes.

asqwerth
Developer

#28 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote:That's a great wallpaper, but I was talking about the style for the windows. The trendy style is for everything to look like it's on a phone or tablet--button's aren't 3D any longer, just simple colored rectangles. No 3D elements at all in the UI.

I see Distrowatch just savaged Jessie-based SolydXK in a review for looking "old" and so "2014", also for shipping the "old-looking" KDE 4 we also have. If they had used a flat style provided by Kvantum, they probably could have made the reviewer think that they were cool and trendy, since that reviewer was clearly clueless about how Debian releases work.

How do I see the comments for that review? They've got to be wonderful.
Darn, my screenshot of my theming (sprucing up the looks a little and making it more consistent with papirus and adwaita xfce dark for gtk apps) disappeared in the server corruption.

I was the one asking about the kvantum mgr flat themes. I couldn't find the option for selecting them in the manager UI .

Won't have time to mess around with the kde install the next few days though.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

Click on the "Change/Delete Theme" section in the Manager, and that will expand. You should then be able to see a drop-down list of themes available, and pick another one. They won't take effect until you press "Use this Theme". The tips you will also be able to see are important, too.

asqwerth
Developer

#30 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote:Click on the "Change/Delete Theme" section in the Manager, and that will expand. You should then be able to see a drop-down list of themes available, and pick another one. They won't take effect until you press "Use this Theme". The tips you will also be able to see are important, too.
Ah so! Thanks.

KvGnomeDark theme looks almost identical to Adwaita-XFCE-Dark-Thick so it goes with the MX16 default gtk dark theme.

So after changing to above theme in Kvantum Manager, go to System Settings:
a) Application Appearance => Style tab => Widget style = Kvantum

b) Workspace Appearance:
Window Decorations tab => Oxygen
Desktop theme tab ==> Oxygen

Screenshot-2.png
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “MX Modified”