MX15 néos x64 ISO for modern hardware

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
m_pav
Developer

MX15 néos x64 ISO for modern hardware

#1 Post by m_pav »

Using the excellent tools created for antiX & MX, I have assembled a 64-bit build intended to make it possible to install and use MX15 on modern hardware whose hardware is just out of reach for the regular build.

This build was built using Adrians monthly snapshot as a base and I have carefully upgraded and updated all the packages which assist with operation on modern hardware, such as the Lenovo Laptop in my signature, which will not play nice with the stock MX-15. The design is such that one should not notice any difference between the stock MX15 and this build, save for the addition of better support for more modern hardware.

This ISO features a Debian Backports 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 kernel and the latest MX tools. All supporting apps, utilities and libraries that provide support for display rendering, hardware use (and power management where possible) have been upgraded using packages from our own repository. Only a handful of packages have been pulled from the Debian backports repository, so we can take comfort that almost everything used in this ISO comes from known sources common to a regular MX15 user.

The title néos comes from the Greek word for new and I chose it because I have a Greek heritage, I like the way it sounds and it represents the type of machines this build is intended for. With the intended purpose being for new machines, this build will only be available in 64-bit, however, it will work equally as well on most, if not all machines that support a 64-bit OS.

Please test this build and report any issues. For issues and questions concerning this build, please post them in the MX Modified section of these forums.

EDIT
Link to shared folder with most recent version (content may change as updated versions become available, please be patient while new versions are uploaded)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c128nivqs6w8 ... aJHva?dl=0

Please download both the ISO and the md5sum to the same folder, then right click the md5sum and choose Check data integrity before using the file to ensure you have a good download.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

m_pav
Developer

Re: MX15 néos x64 ISO for modern hardware

#2 Post by m_pav »

Updated version includes UEFI fix where some systems failed to boot, plus the latest scripts and enhancements from the antiX16 build.

Known issues,
Regression bug in installer, root password prompt as installer tries to mount partitions, just click cancel and continue for each prompt.
MX-Snapshot is not working - a fix is in the pipeline, will advise when ready.

Uploading now, check the link in the above post.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Question: do you want this listed with the official respins? If yes, I don't believe we have a formal process, so would recommend you just post in the Dev Forum.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#4 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

Some of us have flipped the BIOS boot mode to legacy because the USB3 ports are unsupported until a driver for this can get loaded so a legacy version might not be a bad idea. as you can guess, my precision 3510 is like this so I'd need to burn a disc to get the system up on one of these ISO's. My system doesn't recognize the USB ports during boot in UEFI mode.- mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:Some of us have flipped the BIOS boot mode to legacy because the USB3 ports are unsupported until a driver for this can get loaded so a legacy version might not be a bad idea. as you can guess, my precision 3510 is like this so I'd need to burn a disc to get the system up on one of these ISO's. My system doesn't recognize the USB ports during boot in UEFI mode.- mike
I have the same issue.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:Some of us have flipped the BIOS boot mode to legacy because the USB3 ports are unsupported until a driver for this can get loaded so a legacy version might not be a bad idea. as you can guess, my precision 3510 is like this so I'd need to burn a disc to get the system up on one of these ISO's. My system doesn't recognize the USB ports during boot in UEFI mode.- mike
The live version of Sept 25 neos should boot via legacy as well as UEFI. AFAIK, the only live boot combinations that don't work are:
  1. any UEFI boot via cd/dvd
  2. 32-bit UEFI via "dd" live-usb
Legacy boot should work with any live media. UEFI boot should work with most live media except for the two exceptions above.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

richb wrote:
I have the same issue.
Grabbed the latest and booted fine legacy.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “MX Modified”