MX 15 respin for cutting-edge hardware?

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX 15 respin for cutting-edge hardware?

#31 Post by dolphin_oracle »

greywolf wrote:Hi @BitJam. I figured this conversion here would bring us together again?! :)

One of the reasons I offered to test this work was because I thought it might shed some light on the Antix16 issue.

This is a quite strange situation for me, not something I have had to deal with in the past. I'm thinking the problem definitely lies in the Asus bios/uefi treatment of usb drives?! On both systems now, Antix16 & MX-New, a return to Legacy mode has allowed the install but UEFI alone has no detection even of the USB stick. That suggests to me that turning OFF Legacy mode is turning OFF usb detection - for these 2 systems only though??

That's the truly perplexing thing to me. I already had installed (in uefi-only mode) on this machine Linuxmint18, PCLinuxOS, Manjaro, Solus, Xubuntu16.04, Peppermint and a number of other systems, tested & removed.

As I have stated before, this whole issue is not a problem for me personally as I am quite comfortable dropping into and out of Legacy mode. For me this is about the number of people I "support" who want to move to 64bit machines and run one or more alternative systems that include Antix or MX. Even there, I could just leave them all in Legacy mode, except, that is specifically advised against by other distros who produce uefi install isos!! I do not support any system I cannot run, but, I don't like to disappoint people who I have convinced to come to Linux.

As well as that, I HATE so called solutions that are just workarounds or avoidance of an issue.

BTW, I did find the F12 setting to turn on. I had used Escape key at 'Asus' screen previously.

I had a look in the iso files of all the other systems and it is true that they ALL use upper case EFI folder name. Hmmmmm???!

Anyway life goes on, back to Bumblebee testing.

greywolf.

interesting. I do not have an asus, but my gigabyte in the family room does not auto-detect my usb devices when in UEFI mode. I always have to select from a boot menu (F12 on that one I think).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

BitJam
Developer

#32 Post by BitJam »

PM to be sent soon to avoid further highjacking of this thread.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

greywolf

#33 Post by greywolf »

BitJam wrote:PM to be sent soon to avoid further highjacking of this thread.
Whilst the details of discussions to resolve this took place in PM, I thought I should just quickly mention here that my initial problem with recognition of the usb stick has been resolved by changing the case of the folders 'efi' & 'efi/boot' on the usb stick to upper case, ie EFI & EFI/BOOT.

Obviously an issue with the Asus firmware thinking it lives in Redmond?!!!

cheers,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

kmathern
Developer

#34 Post by kmathern »

greywolf wrote:... my initial problem with recognition of the usb stick has been resolved by changing the case of the folders 'efi' & 'efi/boot' on the usb stick to upper case, ie EFI & EFI/BOOT...
I'm wondering why you needed to change them to uppercase, they should've been uppercase already.

Here's some pics I took after opening some of the MX-15-* isos I have with Archive Manager, the folders in question are using uppercase letters.
MX-15_September-EFI-BOOT.png
MX15_neos-EFIBOOT.png

edit: and when I use BitJam's live-usb-maker those folders are still uppercase on the LiveUSB stick it creates.

kmathern
Developer

#35 Post by kmathern »

I think I see the problem now.

MX-15 is using uppercase for the /EFI and /EFI/BOOT folders, but they're lowercase in antiX-16.
antiX-EFI-BOOT.png

m_pav
Developer

#36 Post by m_pav »

Updated version coming soon, please keep an eye on the following thread, my current upload speed is slow, so maybe 4-5 hours.

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 00&t=40517
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Jerry3904
Administrator

#37 Post by Jerry3904 »

Maybe it would be less confusing if you closed/locked this thread?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Modified”