winndows close when moving with KDE/MX

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
whbr

winndows close when moving with KDE/MX

#1 Post by whbr »

I looked for something on this behavior but couldn't find any threads. I'm running Mx with KDE on a lenovo R60 laptop. I believe I'm fully updated and think this is a new problem but can't swear to that. What happens is when I try to move a window by grabbing the top window bar with the left mouse button the window closes. This does not seem to be the case with all programs although I haven't teseted all of them. It doesn't happen with firefox but does happen with libre office programs, gnucash, and seemingly all kde progs. On a related note, the close window button is located in the upper left cornor rather than the upper right where I am accustommed to it being situated. I assumed this was a theme related issue and I haven't spent much time configuring this machine. It occurs to me that there maybe a connection. Any thoughts or directions to a relevant thread would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

joany

Re: winndows close when moving with KDE/MX

#2 Post by joany »

A couple of questions:

What themes and window decorations are you you using per your settings?
Do you have compositing enabled, and if so, are you using any desktop effects?
Does this problem occur if you move the window slowly?

There was a similar bug reported here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=861280
Like your problem, this bug mostly affected specific applications. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that it was ever resolved. It may be related to the graphics card or video driver. Please provide the specs of your driver and video card.

When I first set up KDE/MX I recall having a problem with the mouse cursor "disconnecting" from the window title bar when moving the window. Although the window didn't close, it got left behind if I tried to move it too quickly. I was able to correct that problem by playing around with settings, although unfortunately I don't remember which setting it was.

-----------------------------------

Setting up KDE in MX-14 is a little tricky and it takes some tweaking of the system settings to get things right. The place to start is with the MX Docs: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/doc_mx/advanced_kde.html

I posted some of the settings I used when setting up KDE on MX-14, which may be some help: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 99&t=36201

One of our resident gurus, m_pav, generously provided a Live iso of KDE running on MX-14. I'm wondering if you would have the problem of windows closing when moving them using his iso on your machine. See this thread: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... kde+iso+mx
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

DBeckett

#3 Post by DBeckett »

<wild guess>

System Settings --> Window Behavior --> Window Behavior --> Titlebar Actions tab

Here you can set the desired action if you double-click a titlebar. How is yours set?

</wild guess>
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

whbr

#4 Post by whbr »

<good guess>
Thanks DBeckett. Therein lied the problem and in fact the resolution of both issues.
</good guess>

Joany, thank you too for the response. I won't bother with the particulars as I have the issue in hand. I didn't configure anything and these defaults (if that is what they were) are unfamiliar to me. Maybe they came in with a theme/decoration, again I haven't done much to pretty this box up. And, thanks for all your encouragement to the KDE'ers who want to use MX. Mark
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

Return to “MX Modified”