MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
skidoo

Re: MX Cinnamon respin / remastering not possible

#21 Post by skidoo »

why to remaster when snapshot its much easier and gives two options: (1) Personal backup, and (2) For distribution for others.
because remaster works to remaster a live-USB without installing and doing a snapshot.
The snapshot tool is available for use during liveboot, so I'm confused at reading the quoted reply.

dphn

#22 Post by dphn »

gbhollr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:44 pm
dphn wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 am with Cinnamon DE it's easier you use LMDE3, add MX-repos and install some MX-Tools. It's a systemd system.
Wait a minute. Even though MX Linux uses SysV as its init software, you're saying the Cinnamon desktop environment itself
also installs systemd to replace it?

Please tell me I misunderstood you.
It's the easiest way for using cinnamon directly from the cinnamon devs. Of course, this isn't a MX-System. Remastering with the snapshot tool is not possible, but you can use some other MX-tools and backported packages from MX/antiX Repos for Debian stretch. Note: LMDE uses deb-multimedia per default. For backported MX packages you can disable this, add MX/antiX repos and follow the instructions here.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=227270
for those with an eye for the finer details...

betazoid

#23 Post by betazoid »

it is still sysv not systemd that is used when running cinnamon, I checked the system info
mx snapshot is also functional

edit: never mind, I think I misunderstood something

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Cinnamon 4 is now available in the MX test repo. It seems to run OK in my limited testing. It does not require systemd to be running.

gbhollr

#25 Post by gbhollr »

Stevo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 pm Cinnamon 4 is now available in the MX test repo. It seems to run OK in my limited testing. It does not require systemd to be running.
That's a relief. And you updated it since we last talked about it? Sweet! I'll check it out as soon as possible.

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

gbhollr wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm
Stevo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 pm Cinnamon 4 is now available in the MX test repo. It seems to run OK in my limited testing. It does not require systemd to be running.
That's a relief. And you updated it since we last talked about it? Sweet! I'll check it out as soon as possible.
Yes, I also did some wacom library updates. I think Mint might be using kde-config-tablet as the setting applet in their settings, so I updated that as far as I could, too.

gbhollr

#27 Post by gbhollr »

So yeah, remind me. Alongside Cinnamon, what else should I install?
Thanks.

rasat

#28 Post by rasat »

Friend of mine asked to change Linux Mint to MX with Cinnamon. I am planning to modify the Gnome buster respin, to have an early start with MX 19. Do you recommend MX test repo 4.0 or buster 3.8.8?

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

4.0 seems to be running as well as 3.8.8 in my testing.

Mint seems to like using Xapps like Pix, Xviewer, Xreader, etc. with their Cinnamon release, so I built those for the test repo too. Maybe adding mintstick to a Cinnamon version would also be nice. Kde-config-tablet from the test repo might help with the Wacom tablet setup.

gbhollr

#30 Post by gbhollr »

Hello Stevo.
I don't know if you checked up on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=46993

but I tried the newer version of Cinnamon on a liveboot of MX Linux along with kde-config-tablet and xserver-xorg-input-wacom
yet it still didn't recognise my Cintiq as a graphics tablet.

Also, today I checked out AntiX and found out Cinnamon was in its main repository so I installed it in a liveboot to see if that works any better than in MX Linux.
Guess what, AntiX's Cinnamon DE did recognise my graphics tablet and allow me to calibrate but whenever I click my pen on one of the crosshairs, it exited it out completely because it treated it as my clicking outside the tablet since the cursor is way off centre.

Return to “MX Modified”