Forum version and theme?

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Forum version and theme?

#1 Post by JayM »

What version of phpBB is used here, and what theme (or template, or style, or whatever its called)?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

BitJam
Developer

Re: Forum version and theme?

#2 Post by BitJam »

The style is prosilver which is the default style for phpBB3.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

Thanks. What subversion of phpBB3 is it? 3.2.7 or one of the older versions and if so which one?
Edit: Peregrine PM'd me the information already,

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of suggesting a change to the forum but I want to set up the same version of phpBB on my server respin as a sandbox first to see if the change is even doable. Also it'll give me a chance to test my respin as an Apache/PHP/MySQL server.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

skidoo

#4 Post by skidoo »

What version of phpBB is used here
it would be contrary to security BestPractices to publicly disclose which version, which plugins used, etc.
thinking of suggesting a change to the forum
A few months back I read a post hinting that a switchover to another forum platform is being considered... and I've been fretting over the prospect of losing access to old posts (ala Manjaro oldforum) and/or dealing with yet another sloooooow Discourse-powered site.

remoteone

#5 Post by remoteone »

For anyone interested, using a Stylus addon in FF I use the following rules to improve readability of this theme when viewed on a portrait monitor.

Code: Select all

blockquote cite::before,
.uncited::before {
    display: none;
    font-size: 0px;
    line-height: 0;
}
blockquote {
    background-color: #fff;
    /**/
    background-image: none;
    background-size: 6px;
    border-color: #bbb;
}
blockquote.uncited {
    padding-top: 4px;
}
.navbar {
    background-color: #f8f8f8;
}
.button {
    border-color: #00C300;
    background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #FFFFFF 0%, #cfc 100%);
    background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, #FFFFFF 0%, #cfc 100%);
    color: #2a6496;
}
.avatar img {
    max-width: 50%;
    border-radius: 5px;
}
.avatar-container {
    max-width: 50%;
    padding: 0px;
}
.postprofile {
    margin: 4px 0 5px 0;
    width: 16%;
}
.postbody {
	width: 82%;
}

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

Interesting, thanks for sharing. By the way, what size and resolution is the monitor you wrote this for? I wonder how it would look on a non-wide 17" 1280x1020 monitor like mine?

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

No Forum changes are currently being considered other than bringing phpBB to the current version.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

richb wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am No Forum changes are currently being considered other than bringing phpBB to the current version.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" other than perhaps updating it as you say. phpBB is working just fine for everyone as far as I know. There's no need to switch to a different platform and go through all of the headaches of converting the database so you don't wind up losing user accounts and posts. Meanwhile phpBB is perfectly usable and gets the job done. (Though personally, I prefer SMF: Simple Machine Forum for ease of use and administration, but I have no idea how well it scales with hundreds of active users. phpBB is tried and true in that regard, and as I said, there's absolutely no valid use-case reason to change now.)

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

JayM explained the rationale on Forum software changes well. We do consider minor changes to the Forum. As an example JayM suggested a change to show Forum descriptions when in a sub-forum. A code change that was fairly easy to implement was made. Not all sub-forums currently have descriptions. They will be added as time allows.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Site Help”