Why the large split between these two forum categories?

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
linwinux

Why the large split between these two forum categories?

#1 Post by linwinux »

Someone asked me during the past few days to write a step by step How-To article for switching from Linux Mint 17 or 18 over to MX Linux instead. Now I noticed of course that the MX help section is prominently displayed at the top of the forum categories, excellent place for it ... which got me to wondering why the how-to section which is supposed to contain nothing but helpful posts, would be located way way far down the page in the area for Members only & Site rules? Why mix the how-to section up with those? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the how-to section available in the MX help area also ... perhaps right above the older versions ... so new members are more enticed to look for fixes or specialized instructions, right where all of the other help is located too?
Just wondering ...

Old Giza

Re: Why the large split between these two forum categories?

#2 Post by Old Giza »

"Forum How-Tos" doesn't mean "how-tos posted in the forum by members". It means "how-tos about how to use the forum".

Maybe your submission could go in "Community Submissions"/"Tips and Tricks" or "Scripts". The "Help" is usually for requesting help and answering, not providing stuff up-front. Maybe posts like yours could be a separate sub-category under Community Submissions, or a new category could be made more prominent. Forum admins are best judge if any change required.

linwinux

#3 Post by linwinux »

Okay, I can accept that. But I have to say that that is the strangest manner that I have ever seen "how-tos" used in any technical forum. Everywhere else that I've ever been a member, that's always meant ... "Come here to learn how to do specific somewhat complex functions with step by step easy to follow guides"
Ah well, live and learn ... :confused:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

We're not everywhere else ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

"Forum How-to" is akin to any forum having a Help section for people to ask questions about the forum software or forum host. So that in itself is not confusing to me nor I daresay various members who have posted their own tips and tricks in the Community Submissions/Tips and Tricks section.

On the other hand, it would certainly be more convenient for the WHOLE Tips and Tricks/Scripts sections to be closer to - or within - the "Help" or "General" sub-boards.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Site Help”