Spamhaus - GGgrrrrrRRRR!!!!!!!!

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
cuscotravelservices

Re: Spamhaus - GGgrrrrrRRRR!!!!!!!!

#11 Post by cuscotravelservices »

Utopia wrote:
Is this an option available via the search results of Spamhaus
That's something you do in Thunderbird or whatever you use.
The search results will tell you what to do (if you click on the various lists your IP address is present in).
Here's an example:
Outbound Email Policy of The Spamhaus Project for this IP range:
This IP address range has been identified by Spamhaus as not meeting our policy for IP addresses permitted to deliver unauthenticated 'direct-to-mx' email to PBL users.
Important: If you are using any normal email software (such as Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.) and you are being blocked by this Spamhaus PBL listing when you try to send email, the reason is simply that you need to turn on "SMTP Authentication" in your email program settings. For help with SMTP Authentication or ways to quickly fix this problem...
Henry
I was posting via the forum web page.

Are you inferring that Thunderbird can be used to reply to forum posts?

Utopia
Administrator

#12 Post by Utopia »

I was posting via the forum web page.
Hmm..,
Was only relating what Spamhouse said without thinking.Their fixes seems to be email related. Have you gone through all other existing lists? Very difficult to get your IP address whitelisted without a fixed IP address. Have to think about it.
Henry

Utopia
Administrator

#13 Post by Utopia »

One more thing to try is http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi
If you enter your IP address there, you will get very detailed information about what's wrong.
Henry

cuscotravelservices

#14 Post by cuscotravelservices »

Utopia wrote:One more thing to try is http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi
If you enter your IP address there, you will get very detailed information about what's wrong.
Henry
The following is the initial output for my current IP address which I've replaced with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Not good.
IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is listed in the CBL. It shows signs of being infected with a spam sending trojan, malicious link or some other form of botnet.

It was last detected at 2015-06-07 16:00 GMT (+/- 30 minutes), approximately 8 days, 5 hours ago.

This IP is infected (or NATting for a computer that is infected) with the kelihos spambot. In other words, it's participating in a botnet.

If you simply remove the listing without ensuring that the infection is removed (or the NAT secured), it will probably relist again.
I think that intelligent captchas are probably the better way to manage these problems.

Ho hum. :frown:

Midsommarsdag is not far away.

What's on the menu?
Potatis och köttbullar
Jordgubbar
Malmö '81 :happy:

Have a good time and put on some ABBA for me. ;)

Utopia
Administrator

#15 Post by Utopia »

What's on the menu?
Potatis och köttbullar
Will probably have some "sill och potatis". And play some ABBA on special request.
Henry

cuscotravelservices

#16 Post by cuscotravelservices »

Utopia wrote:Will probably have some "sill och potatis".
sill - I think I remember that too now, kind of raw?

Utopia
Administrator

#17 Post by Utopia »

kind of raw
Pickled, don't think you can eat it raw. Very traditional at Midsummer.
Henry

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

I've tried a quick search, as to whether StopForumSpam uses the blacklists provided by Spamhaus, but without luck.
We don't use any black lists from Spamhaus, at SFS (stop forum spam),
As far as this:
I think that intelligent captchas are probably the better way to manage these problems.
This is one that is sort of new, but seems to work very well against "spambots",
https://www.funcaptcha.com/
humans can solve it, but then if they do post some sort of "spam", they are caught, and get added to the "data base", if the forum admins want to submit them. We use "funcaptcha" at SFS and I use it on one of my own sites.
This forum seems to be pretty good, I have not seen any spam here, so I think you all have it pretty well covered.
But I also use a php script "ZBBLOCK" on my website and forums, it works very well, if set up correctly, and does have a method for contacting admin, if someone finds they are blocked, then the person or even the ISP can be "whitelisted". The problem is , when it is a problem ISP, that is to say any ISP that is known to be used by mostly spammers, and other "undesirables", well if it gets "white listed" that kind of "open the door", but since most of them (Spammers) are not really human, but bots, a good captcha does stop them.

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

GarryRicketson wrote:
We do not use SpamHouse.
Ok, I guess it has changed, I had noticed it has been sometime since this had happened to me, but just now,it did again, but now it says "project honey pot",.. still no big deal, disconnecting the broad band device, and re-connecting solved the problem, the IP changes when ever the device is re-started.
This forum never used SpamHouse. And since I did not have the details the ISP thing was just a guess. Nevertheless the forum is not blocking you. We use captchas that are very effective. Captchas pertain to initial registration. There is no automatic blocking on this forum once you are registered. Manual intervention by moderators is required to block an IP address, and that is only done for cause.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

GarryRicketson

#20 Post by GarryRicketson »

Nevertheless the forum is not blocking you.

OOPs!, my mistake, I didn't mention this, and you are right, it is not the forum, it is : http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx when I have gotten the "blacklist" message, My "book marks" take me there first, then I select the forum, under the "support" button,...sorry about that, now I probabley did a good job of cpnfusing everyone, including my self,..but you are right, it isn't the forum.

Return to “Site Help”