New Forum Comments

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
richb
Administrator

Re: New Forum Comments

#291 Post by richb »

Utopia wrote: Didn't realize how much you have thought about this,
The team has had some discussions on this.
1. To get more red paint, balancing the blue-gray. This could be achieved in many other ways, not just by a red headline.
2. To look very friendly. The Mepislovers had Silverbears old, half amateurish logo that gave such an impression.
This can be made in many different ways, keeping business look, but adding white somewhere to let in more light.
If these changes can be made to look more subtle, I would be amenable. Only way to judge is to see it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Utopia
Administrator

#292 Post by Utopia »

Subtle is definitely the way to go for the professional look to be preserved. Maybe just a red line somewhere, near the headline or under the site announcement?
White background for site announcements and no big and red headlines?
Will make everything brighter but no one will notice it.
Henry

Jerry3904
Administrator

#293 Post by Jerry3904 »

peregrine wrote:I can make the background white by editing the css.
Good to know, thanks. I am in favor of such a change, we'll see how others feel.
I prefer the Red welcome line to be no larger than it is on the site at this time. The larger we make it the further down the page we push the content.
Agreed.
I am not a fan of welcome messages.
Will be less needed after the transition period is over.
When the first beta is released: I would also put out for consideration that we replace the welcome message in red and the regulars message with the Release of the first beta and put that in red - but not too large.
Sounds good to me. We would also want to say something about testing and where/how to post results.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#294 Post by richb »

Utopia wrote:Subtle is definitely the way to go for the professional look to be preserved. Maybe just a red line somewhere, near the headline or under the site announcement?
White background for site announcements and no big and red headlines?
Will make everything brighter but no one will notice it.
Henry
That is along the lines of my thinking.

EDIT:
White background - yes
Beta announcement -yes, perhaps with a link to mepis.org where there is more detail on the release, (link in word format)
You know how I feel about the "Welcome", I am not a fan of them either.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

richb
Administrator

#295 Post by richb »

This thread is getting quite long. I suggest new topics be started for specific issues on the site in this forum.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Utopia
Administrator

#296 Post by Utopia »

I suggest new topics be started for specific issues
Agree.
how I feel about the "Welcome"
If the page itself is welcoming, there's no need to write it out in letters.
Some more white and a touch of red will take care of that.
Henry

lucky9

#297 Post by lucky9 »

I'm not a graphics artist, or for that matter, any kind of artist. But I have some thoughts.

I'd like to see a major whitening of the site. All the blue-grayish seems a downer to me. Plus it is physically hard to read for me and I'd bet for others.

Remember that a Welcome announcement is for those who have not been here. It should give enough information that someone can navigate fairly easily and make them feel.....welcomed, wanted, made to feel at home!!!! Thought about and planned for.

I think the judicious use of red is appropriate for making something important to look at.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

KrispyKritter

#298 Post by KrispyKritter »

I am in agreement of making the background lighter, but a pure white background is hard to look at will cause eye strain if viewed for an extended length of time therefore not a desirable situation. I know it happens to me when I spend a lengthy time editing and do not take breaks. What is desirable is the highest contrast between the text and the background, not necessarily just black and white.

I have noticed a trend of making a light gray background and then putting a darker gray text on top. I think that practice comes from the "Artistic" designers who think that the "text" makes their web pages look ugly. They forget that the purpose of what they are doing is conveying information not just making "pretty" pages. As a web designer I know how hard it is to get a good balance.

As for the "Welcome" banner I feel that there should be something there to welcome first time visitors to our site and let them know even if they are not members they are welcome to search for answers here and if they like the site and the help they find here they might be convinced that MEPIS as we already know it the best. ;) I think it could include important announcements to the community IE new releases.

You of the forum development team have done a great job and I personally want to say thanks to all and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

richb
Administrator

#299 Post by richb »

HAPPY NEW YEAR. :rolleyes:
HAPPY NEW YEAR :grin:
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

lucky9

#300 Post by lucky9 »

I wish all a happy, safe, and prosperous New Year! :needcoffee:
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Site Help”