New Forum Comments

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: New Forum Comments

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

Try using < instead of [
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

qtech

#12 Post by qtech »

The site looks great. My thanks to all for the dedication and wherewithal to put it together.

If you will forgive the non-technical, ticky-tack critique (and no offense intended):

The introduction on the home page,

"This web site is developed and maintained by the community of Mepis users. Its purpose is to tell you who we are, show you what we do, provide you with relevant news, and point you to where you can get help on using MEPIS Linux. That user-friendly operating system is pre-configured for simplicity and ease of use, and is well supported--by us! Please check the official site to find out how to get MEPIS!",

does not read cleanly, contains grammatical problems and lacks polish as an introduction.

May I suggest something like the following?

We proudly welcome you to the Mepis community website.

Our purpose is threefold:

- To provide support to Mepis Linux users regardless of skill level
- To keep you informed regarding news, updates and new releases of the Mepis OS
- To offer a community environment for Mepis users to share their interests and assist others

Mepis is a stable, feature-rich and easy to use Linux based Operating System backed by an enthusiastic, knowledgeable and helpful community.

To download or to obtain an overview of Mepis, please visit the official Mepis site.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks. I haven't had time to do any editing yet, but it is next on my list.

EDIT: oh, you are on the home page of mepiscommunity.org, which has been there for three years or so now. I do not believe there is a grammatical error in it, though the style is intentionally colloquial. Since it has already been translated into a bunch of languages, there is not much inclination to change it now.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

You will notice a series of pyramids under users names. They are an indication of the number of posts you have made. Some did not get enabled during the conversion. Unless and until we can find a way to globally enable all of them, I will do them individually as I see new posts. So please be patient for them to show up.

EDIT: I think I found a way to globally enable the pyramids.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

peregrine
Administrator

#15 Post by peregrine »

Great, Jerry has his now.

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

peregrine wrote:Great, Jerry has his now.
yes I enabled him.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

uncle mark

#17 Post by uncle mark »

Two problems from where I sit:

1) the display is too wide -- I have a horizontal scroll bar in FF. This is on a widescreen LCD at 1280x800 with FF not quite at full screen. Never was an issue with the old setup.

2) I got an email about a reply in one of my "watched" threads. I'd like to shut that off, while still being able to bring up watched (I think it was called subscribed in the old setup) threads to look for replies.

Adrian
Developer

#18 Post by Adrian »

uncle mark, do you use an autopager in Firefox? That causes some problems in Chrome for me... Also I think you can set notification policies in User Control Panel (by why subscribe to a thread if you don't want to receive notifications, I thought that's the purpose of subscribing)

Rich, you haven't enabled the pyramids on your account :grin:

uncle mark

#19 Post by uncle mark »

<q>
uncle mark, do you use an autopager in Firefox? That causes some problems in Chrome for me... Also I think you can set notification policies in User Control Panel (by why subscribe to a thread if you don't want to receive notifications, I thought that's the purpose of subscribing)
</q>

No, I don't use autopaging.

The "subscribed" in the old setup was merely a listing of threads I had posted in. It wasn't anything I chose, but it was handy.

As far as the horizontal scroll bar, it's only in this section, from the very first post in this thread. I just went to the Regulars and Beta forums and opened a few threads and it was fine.

Make sure that in your User Control Panel, Board preferences, Post Settings that "email me if someone replies to my post" is unchecked.

Utopia
Administrator

#20 Post by Utopia »

Is there anyway I can recover my aviator from the old server
Have you searched the local gallery, at the bottom of "edit avatar". With a little bit of luck it has followed you here (under misc. category).
Henry

Return to “Site Help”