Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

New Forum Comments

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
bigboppercole

Re: New Forum Comments

#281 Post by bigboppercole »

Adrian wrote:I think admin edits if they don't submit reason don't show. For regular users I think there's a grace period (on other PHP3 forums I've noticed that "edited by..." appears only after the grace period or if somebody posted after your post).
richb wrote:This from the phpBBB website.
It will only be marked as edited when there was already a reply on the original post, or when a moderator/admin edit the post and give a reason for the edit.
From that I read the grace period is until someone else posts. I think I like that.
Question answered.

Al

Adrian
Developer

#282 Post by Adrian »

I like it too, it makes sense.

richb
Administrator

#283 Post by richb »

Adrian wrote:I like it too, it makes sense.
make that 3. Now that I understand it. :p
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Utopia
Administrator

#284 Post by Utopia »

Is it possible to use a white background for "site announcements"? To brighten up the blue-gray of the Board index. The welcome headline could also be made much larger. Anything to get more color. See attached example.
This is a place where administrators could play a little to give the page a friendly first impression. Add images or short news.
Henry

Jerry3904
Administrator

#285 Post by Jerry3904 »

I like the suggestion, though I don't see any simple way to do it through the Administrative Control Panel.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#286 Post by richb »

Utopia wrote:Is it possible to use a white background for "site announcements"? To brighten up the blue-gray of the Board index. The welcome headline could also be made much larger. Anything to get more color. See attached example.
This is a place where administrators could play a little to give the page a friendly first impression. Add images or short news.
Henry
:hmm: I have been pushing for less color and a more subdued look. I think it would have a more professional look. I definitely do not like the large read text. I do not want to be hit over the head. Users come here by volition, they do not need what I view as an over the top verification.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Jerry3904
Administrator

#287 Post by Jerry3904 »

I definitely do not like the large read text.
Like in the current Site Announcement?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#288 Post by richb »

Jerry3904 wrote:
I definitely do not like the large read text.
Like in the current Site Announcement?
I was referring to Utopia's suggestion. The current one is OK, although I would prefer only bold. But with all preferences it is only my opinion.

Two thoughts.

1. We already have MEPIS Users Forum in the header, so why repeat it with gusto.
2. Looking at other popular Linux forums, they have no additional announcement stating who they are, or they are very subdued. Just because they are that way does not mean we have to be. But I like the more subtle approach they take.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

peregrine
Administrator

#289 Post by peregrine »

I can make the background white by editing the css. I prefer the Red welcome line to be no larger than it is on the site at this time. The larger we make it the further down the page we push the content. I am not a fan of welcome messages.

When the first beta is released:
I would also put out for consideration that we replace the welcome message in red and the regulars message with the Release of the first beta and put that in red - but not too large.
Asus A78M - AMD A10-6800K - 8GB Ram - 120GB SSD - Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD MX18 ------ Lenovo Yoga intel i7 7500 / MX-21

Utopia
Administrator

#290 Post by Utopia »

I have been pushing for less color and a more subdued look
Didn't realize how much you have thought about this, to me it was more the default look of a phpBB forum with some details added. Was afraid new users could be scared off by to much of "business attitude".
As I always improve things forever, without ever being finished, I'm glad that someone can make a choice and keep to it. Otherwise this forum should still have been in testing.
1. We already have MEPIS Users Forum in the header, so why repeat it with gusto.
2. Looking at other popular Linux forums, they have no additional announcement stating who they are, or they are very subdued. Just because they are that way does not mean we have to be. But I like the more subtle approach they take.
1. To get more red paint, balancing the blue-gray. This could be achieved in many other ways, not just by a red headline.
2. To look very friendly. The Mepislovers had Silverbears old, half amateurish logo that gave such an impression.
This can be made in many different ways, keeping business look, but adding white somewhere to let in more light.
Henry

Return to “Site Help”