Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

New Forum Comments

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
richb
Administrator

New Forum Comments

#1 Post by richb »

]Welcome to the new Mepis Users Forum. It is the culmination of a several months effort to upgrade and modernize the Forum software, and use phpBB, an Open source solution. My thanks to the team members, Peregrine, Jerry3904, Adrian, Acesabe, and Eadwine Rose who gave freely of their time to make this happen. A special thanks to peregrine who was the linchpin of the team, without whom this could not have been done.

Also, thanks to all the users who logged into the test site, and left comments to help us debug the software, and enhance features. I hesitate to single anyone out, but both Utopia and arjaybe were of great help in rooting out issues.

Please use this thread to report any issues, or help you need with the Forum. Enjoy.

Here is a downloadable Quick Start Guide.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Utopia
Administrator

Re: New Forum Comments

#2 Post by Utopia »

Maintainers forum is visible to ordinary users, it's also in the "search" drop box.
Avatars larger than 6 KiB (very small if you're using .gif) are not accepted, even if many in the local gallery are more than double that size.
Henry

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

Utopia wrote:Maintainers forum is visible to ordinary users, it's also in the "search" drop box.
Avatars larger than 6 KiB (very small if you're using .gif) are not accepted, even if many in the local gallery are more than double that size.
Henry
Corrected maintainers forum
What size would you recommend?

EDIT: Reset it to 64144 bytes, sames as was in VB
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

richb
Administrator

Quick Start Guide

#4 Post by richb »

What you need to do

User Control Panel - In the upper blue menu bar there is a link to your User Control panel. Here you can set your Board preferences and review information concerning your profile. I encourage you to review all the information and settings here and set your preferences as desired.

Avatar - You will need to upload your avatar. the maximum size is 120x120 pixels. Also in your user control panel, Board Preferences, Edit display options, make sure “Display avatars” is checked.

Signature - In your user control panel, Board Preferences, Edit posting defaults. check “Attach my signature by default”. If you have BB codes such as bolding or URLs you will have to edit your signature as phpBB handles these codes differently than vBulletin.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Utopia
Administrator

#5 Post by Utopia »

I think you already know that the new "Mepis themes" needs more text, "Moderators etc". A very good idea to make the Art section smaller, it will look more active now. Was to many subcategories before.
Henry

JBoman

#6 Post by JBoman »

Is there any plan for the latest post header to be shown on the index page of each section like before and or a top section with the latest posts ?. So far everything requires more steps than before (less user friendly). A lot of clicking and arrow back just to see what is going on today. I like the new smileys but for me the rest feels like a step backward.... maybe it will grow on me like Dolphin and Plasma did. JBoman

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

A lot of clicking and arrow back just to see what is going on today.
You can click on one of the | View active topics | View unread posts | View new posts | on top of the page. You can also bookmark them (they are for all forum thought, not per sub-forum).

Utopia
Administrator

#8 Post by Utopia »

top section with the latest posts
You have a section with the 5 latest posts at the bottom of the index page, it's very small.
Henry

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

Utopia wrote:
top section with the latest posts
You have a section with the 5 latest posts at the bottom of the index page, it's very small.
Henry
Yes, same as the test forum. We decided to leave as is.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

KrispyKritter

#10 Post by KrispyKritter »

Everything looks good. I had to go "clean up" the html code in my signature. Is there anyway I can recover my aviator from the old server. It is only 4 years old and I cannot find a copy on any of my computers. Something about numerous rebuilds and advancing years has caused me to loose track as to where it might be.

It appears the html codes are not being recognized in the signatures ( see mine at the bottom).

I do not also seem to be logged in automatically when I return to the forum. I checked the box at the bottom to do so. My user name and password are present, but I click the login box when I come back.

Edit: My first attempt at code clean up did not work because my signature exceeded the "new" character limit of 255 characters and was not accepted.
Last edited by KrispyKritter on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Return to “Site Help”